Attorney-General Fights Fire in Tumut Hotel

19 March 1954 Cootamundra Herald

On Wednesday, when a fire broke out in the Royal Hotel, Tumut, the alarm was given by the Attorney-General (Hon. W F. Sheahan), who was staying in the house.

Mr. Sheahan was awakened by the dense smoke pouring from the staff lounge room, and when he and a member of his staff, Mr. Bob Burgess, inspected the room it was burning fiercely. 

Using a garden hose, they played it on the fire, bringing it under control, and there was little for the Fire Brigade to do when it arrived. 

Extensive damage was caused to the room and furnishings by the blaze.