Benevolent Society at Tumut
The Sydney Morning Herald
15 June 1870
We learn from the Gundagai Times (11th instant) that a (meeting of many influential townsmen was held at the Court house, Tumut, on Wednesday to take into consideration the desirability of establishing a Benevolent Society in the township. Mr. E. G. Brown presided.
The Rev. W. H. Pownall thought that Tumut, sooner or later, would become the centre of a large mining population, and that it was a wise and beneficent object for the residents to make some provision for the exigencies that might arise and call for their charitable intervention.
The overtures that had been made by the managers of the Gundagai Hospital to provide for Tumut patients for £50 per annum were all very well as regarded the interests of that institution, which would derive an equal sum from Government for that contribution, which together with the police fines and unclaimed poundage fees would amount to about £150 per annum; but this amount, with private contributions, would go a long way towards establishing an Hospital in Tumut, and when that institution was established it would derive much indirect support.
He moved that the following gentlemen form a committee to draw up a code of rules, and to report to a general meeting on the best course to be pursued in the formation of a general hospital for the sick, to be called the "Tumut Hospital":- Messrs. R. B. Lynch, R. A, Newman, M. Tuohy, L. Mandelson, F. Vyner, F. Foord, E. G. Brown, J. Robertson, Rev. C. Twomey, Dr. Cobbett, H. Hilton, R. Mackay, and the mover. The resolution, seconded by Mr. F. W. Vyner, and supported by Mr. L. Mandelson, Mr. R. B Lynch, and Mr. M. Tuohy, was agreed to unanimously.