Death Of Mrs Mary Carrigg

Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post

28 January 1910

On Saturday last there passed away from earth Mrs Mary Carrigg, relict of the late Mr E Carrigg, at her son's residence (Mr E Carrigg), Tumut Plains, at the advanced age of 76 years, the cause of death being senile decay, accentuated by heart failure.

For some time past the poor old lady had been complaining, and notwithstanding the attention of Drs Mason and Browne, death came us a happy release.

The deceased was born in Sydney, being the daughter of Mr William Cribb (a large station holder in the early days), and sister of the late Mrs Thomas Lindbeck, of Mondongo.

About 1857 deceased came to Tumut and married the late Mr Colin McDonell, who conducted an hotel at Gilmore on property owned by the late John Caloway, and later on purchased by Mr H Whatman, and afterwards resumed by the Government for railway purposes.

The result of the union was three sons, viz, Colin George, Stewart and Arthur, the second named having predeceased her.

Eventually, after a varied experience in Tumut, the grim reaper, Death, claimed her husband, and later on she married Mr E Carrigg, a worthy man who carried on farming pursuits on Tumut Plains where Mr William Regent now resides.

The outcome of this union was three daughters, viz, Mrs McGoldrick (Corowa). Mrs R O'Neil and Mrs J Murray (Tumut), and two sons, Messrs Edward and Alfred (the latter predeceasced her); but Fate deprived her again of her husband.

On the death of her first husband, Mr George C McDonell came into possession of his property adjoining and westward of Mr Frank Taylor's.

In her declining years deceased was comforted by her sons and daughters, and well can they say-

Rest, dearest mother, thy toil is o'er,

Thy loving hands shall toil no more

No more thy gentle eyes shall weep,

Rest, darling mother, gently sleep,

Thou art not forgotten, dearest mother,

Or will thou ever be -

As long as life and memory last,

We will remember thee

The funeral took place on Sunday last, when a large cortege of mourners paid their last tribute of respect to deceased, whose re mains were interred in the R C portion of the old cemetery Rev. Father Slattery officiated at the graveside, and Mr James Elphick was the undertaker.