Early Catholic History
26 March 1942 Catholic Weekly (Sydney)
The interesting discourse delivered by the Very Rev. Father Hartigan at the silver jubilee celebrations of the Wagga diocose recalls many historical events connected with the Church in the southern district.
At the opening of St. Michael's Cathedral, Wagga, in 1859, an eloquent sermon was preached by Dr. Bermingham, who, two years later, went to Ireland, accompanied by ten lads from the Tumut district, who were to be educated in the old land.
The veteran priest, who, made many trips to Ireland and England, died in London in 1883, and was buried alongside the illustrious Cardinal Wiseman.
Archbishop Polding, in 1838, blessed the foundations of the new church at Albury, dedicated to St. Joseph and St. Boniface, it was at Albury that Father J. A. Goold rested on his long journey from Sydney to Melbourne, on the occasion of his consecration as first Archbishop of Melbourne, in August, 1848.
Father Hartigan's reference to the old Star of the Sea Church, Corowa, reminds one that it was built by Dr. McAlroy, while another church, that of St. Patrick's at Burrowa, was finished in 1855.
The noted Ryan family, of Binalong, lived in the Burrowa district.
They were very generous to the Church, and left their old home to the Redemptorist Fathers.
Father Hartigan also mentioned Jugiong. Archbishop Polding blessed the foundations of the church at Jugiong in 1858.
Jugiong was the site of the head station of the O'Brien family, pioneers of the Yass district, who took up land there about 80 (sic) years after the discovery of the Yass Plains by Hume, in 1821.
Perhaps the “80” mentioned in the last paragraph should read “8”.