Hunter's River Coal Mine
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser
8 May 1803
A new mine has been found at Hunter's River, which is likely to yield an abundance of the finest coal that has ever been witnessed. The discovery was made by J. Platt, a miner in the employ of J. Palmer, Esq. and a quantity of the coal brought round by the Edwin.
A sample will be sent home by His Excellency, in His Majesty's Ship Glatton, and from the accounts given of the mine, we have every reason to affirm, that it will prove highly beneficial to the general interests of the colony.
The coal resembles that found in the colliery at Leith near Edinburg, but more flexible, is of a rich appearance, and easy to be worked.