The Sydney Morning Herald
6 July 1852
We also learn from an authentic source, that the public-house kept by Mr. J. P. Sheehan in this township, has been carried away by the flood.
His family barely escaped with their lives, and sought refuge in the Catholic Chapel just above the house, without having time to secure even their clothing.
These necessaries they subsequently obtained from the stores of Francis Taafe, Esq., J.P.
The waters rose to the base of the chapel, and fears were at one time entertained for the safety of the sacred edifice.