Jugiong Holds Hotel History
1 April 1949 The Farmer and Settler (Sydney)
The opinion that 90 years' possession of the one hotel by the one family line will "take some beating in Australia" was recently expressed by Mr. Murray Robertson, licensee of the Wheat-sheaf Hotel, Allandale North, according to the S.A. "Licensed Victuallers' Gazette" but the record for Australia belongs to the Sheahan family, which has con-ducted the Jugiong Hotel, Jugiong, continuously for over 104 years, states the N.S.W. U.L.V.A.
It was on April 15, 1844, that John Phillip Sheahan took over the Jugiong Hotel, at Jugiong, which was an important place in the old coaching days.
At that time Mr. Sheahan had a mail contract from Yass to Albury.
In 1852, the original hotel was washed away in the great Murrumbidgee flood.
Afterwards the present hotel was built.
Following the death of Mr. Sheahan, the next in control was Mrs. M. A. Sheahan, who held the licence for more than 30 years.
A few months after her death in 1939 the licence was transferred to Mr. James Sheahan, who conducted the hotel until September, 1947, when the licence was transferred to his sister, Miss Bridget Lilian Sheahan.
At the hotel is a magnificent engraved autographed photograph of Governor Fitzroy, who presented it to the first owner.
Jugiong is situated in the Yass electorate, which is represented in the Legislative Assembly by the Minister for Lands, Mr. W. F. Sheahan, a grandson of the original owner.