Montreal Theatre Opened 18 April 1930 Albury Banner and Wodonga Express

Tumut 's new theatre, 'Montreal,' was opened on Wednesday night, Mr. Stanley M' Kay's Musical Comedy Co., 'The Australian XI,' having the honor conferred upon them.

After a chorus, Mr. M'Kay (a Tumut native) accompanied by Cr. H. Godfrey (shire president) and Cr. J. Elphick (deputy shire president) went on the stage and addressed the audience.

He congratulated Mr. J. J. Learmont for his enterprising venture in building such a theatre, also Mr. Laurantus and his firm who had leased the premises.

He then called upon Cr. Godfrey to officially open the theatre, his remarks being endorsed by Cr. Elphick. Mr. T. N. Learmont, on behalf of his brother, Mr. J. J. Learmont, returned thanks for kind and appreciative words spoken and for congratulations extended to the owner on his venture.

The comedy then proceeded and the entertainment was highly appreciated by the large audience. During the interval a large box of chocolates, donated by Mr. A. Young, of the   Tumut, Cafe, was auctioned by the company for the Tumut Red Cross funds and realised 7/15/.

The new Montreal Theatre, which is brick construction, is of the most modern design, well appointed and comfortable, being situated in Russell street, and built to the order of, Mr. J. J. Learmont by Mr. J. Nysson, contractor.

The building will accommodate 1000 people, and includes dress circle, second dress circle, stalls and private boxes. It is to be utilised exclusively for pictures and concert companies, the seats being fixtures, on a 'steped' floor.

The machinery, plant, lighting, music and fittings are quite up-to-date the owner having spared no expense in building a theatre which is a credit to himself and a decided benefit to the public, as well as a big improvement to that portion of the street, which site until now was occupied by one of the oldest buildings in Tumut.

The lessees are Messrs. Cummins and Laurantus, who conduct similar businesses in other country towns and are well versed in the undertaking.

Mr. E. H. M'Donald's 'Sky' pictures, screened in the Oddfellows' Hall for many years, will now cease to exist, the Montreal proprietors having purchased the film rights of same.

The lessees have announced that the Talkies will be installed at the now theatre on 9th June next.

Undoubtedly Tumut people as well as tourists and other visitors to the town, will in the future be well catered for in the direction of evening amusement, and the new theatre will prove a decided advantage to travelling companies, who will hence forth be enabled to creditably stage their various entertainments.

Tumut should be proud of such a theatre in the town.