New Bridge over the Murrumbidgee at Gundagai
20 April 1868 Illustrated Sydney News
The Murrumbidgee is a magnificent river, draining a vast pastoral territory in a tortuous course of about 1350 miles, of which 500 are navigable for vessels of moderate size.
The district lying between the Murrumbidgee and the Murray is known as Riverina, a flat alluvial country, liable to inundation.
A new bridge has lately been thrown across the Murrumbidgee at Gundagai, on the main road from Sydney to Melbourne, via Albury; and there has been great rejoicing thereat among the Riverine communities, who have suffered from the sudden rises and floods in which their great river capriciously indulges.
The weary delays they have been subjected to the impatient watchings and waitings of their business men for goods which, though urgently needed, were obliged to remain stationary in drays shrouded with tarpaulins, until the waters abated; and the enforced idleness of teamsters, are now become things of the past.
The bridge, which is made of iron, is one of the noblest structures of the kind in the country, and its completion affords a fresh instance of the triumph of human skill, energy, and perseverance over natural obstacles.
Our view is from a photograph taken by Mr. A. Smith, jun., of Adelong.