New Classification System for State Roads.
23 November 1928, The Sydney Morning Herald
Under a system recently introduced, the whole of the 12,000 miles of main roads is the State, which formerly came under one heading, have now been classified as State Highways, 3359 miles; Trunk Roads 2184 miles; and Ordinary Main Roads, 7356 miles; and a new arrangement with regard to their construction and maintenance has been adopted.
Formerly, the arrangement was that the whole of the work on all these roads was financed by negotiation between the Main Roads Board and the local councils.
In future, the Main Roads Board will bear the whole of the cost of construction and maintenance of State Highways, mainly through the proceeds of the State motor taxes and the Federal tax on petrol.
The local councils will contribute a small proportion of the cost of constructional work on the trunk roads and main roads, to which also, under certain conditions, some of the Federal loan, contributions will also he applied.
The National Roads and Motorists' Association has been informed that the following 13 routes have been declared State Highways;
· Prince's Highway,- Sydney, Wollongong, Kiama, Nowra, Moruya, Narooma, Tilba Tilba, Cobargo, Bega, Eden, direct to border.
· Great Southern Highway.- Sydney, Liverpool, Picton, Mittagong, Berrima, Marulan, Goulburn, Yass, Gundagai, Albury,
· Federal Highway,- Goulburn, Yarra, Collector, Canberra.
· Monaro Highway.- Wagga, Adelong, Tumut, Yarrangobilly, Cooma, Bega, Tathra.
· Great Western Highway.- Sydney, Katoomba, Bathurst,
· Mid-Western Highway.- Bathurst, Blayney, Cowra, Grenfell, Wyalong, Balranald, Euston, Wentworth, Moorna, thence to South Australian border.
· North-Western Highway.- Bathurst, Orange, Wellington, Dubbo, Trangie, Bourke, Engonia, Barringun.
· Barrier Highway.- Nyngan, Cobar, Wilcannia, Broken Hill, Burns.
· Great Northern Highway.- Sydney, Hornsby, Gosford, Newcastle, Maitland, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Murrurundi, Tamworth, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tenterfield, Goonoo Goonoo, Liston, Legume, Woodenbong,
· North Coast Highway.- Hexham, Gloucester, Taree, Pt. Macquarie, Kempsey, Coff's Harbour, Grafton, Ulmarra, Ballina, Byron Bay, Murwillumbah, Tweed Heads.
· Oxley Highway.- Pt. Macquarie, Wauchope, Ellenborough, Yarrawitch, Walcha, Tamworth, Gunnedah, Mullally, Coonabarabran, Gilgandra, Trangie.
· Gwydir Highway.- Grafton, Newton Boyd, Glen Innes, Inverell, Warialda, Moree, Mogul (Mogil Mogil).
There are 21 trunk roads, towards the maintenance of which the councils will contribute one-third, as against the Board's two-thirds, as follow:
· Bateman's Bay to Queanbeyan,via Braidwood and Bungendore;
· Queanbeyan to Cooma, via Colinton;
· Nimmitabel to the Victorian border, via Bombala and Delegate;
· Goulburn to Ilford, via Tuena, Abercrombie, Perthville, Bathurst and Sofala;
· Marangaroo to Mullally, via Capertee, Ilford, Mudgee, Gulgong, Craboon, Coolah, and Tambar Springs;
· Queanbeyan to Walgett, via Canberra, Yass, Boorowa, Cowra, Gooloogong, Forbes, Parkes, Peak Hill, Dubbo (direct). Gilgandra, and Coonamble;
· Wagga to Trangie, via Wagga, Junee, Temora, Wyalong, Condobolin, and Dandaloo;
· Wagga to Oxley, via Narrandera,Yanco, Darlington Pt, (cross river), Hay, and Maude;
· Cross Roads (Mundowy) to Deniliquin, via Lockhart, Urana, Jerilderie, Coree, and Conargo;
· Echuca to Wilcannia, via Deniliquin, Hay, Booligal, Mossgiel, and Ivanhoe.
· Orange to Condobolin, via Toogong, Eugowrn, and Forbes;
· Scone to Coolah, via Bunnan, Merriwa, and Cassills;
· Tamworth to Goondiwindi, via Barraba, Bingara, Warialda, Yetman, and Boggabilla;
· Ballina to Tenterfield, via Lismore, Casino, and Tabulum;
· Byron Bay to Lismore;
· Menindie to Broken Hill;
· Balranald to Ivanhoe, via Kilfera;
· Wentworth to Mungindi, via Pooncarie, Menindie, Wilcannia, Louth, Bourke, Brewarrina, Walgett, and Collarenabri;
· Wentworth to the border, via Broken Hill, Albion, Milparinka, and Tibooburra; Brewarrina to Goodooga, Bokhara; and
· Collarendabri to the border, via Angledool mid Goodooga.