Obituary - Mr. Frederick John Crossley
15 May 1945 The Tumut and Adelong Times
There passed away at his home at Jackalass, South Gundagai, at 1.30 a.m. yesterday Mr. Frederick John Crossley, formerly of Tumut, at the age of 62years.
Though the late Mr. Crossley had been resident of Gundagai for the past ten years, he was very well known in Tumut, where he had conducted a mixed confectionery and vegetable shop and bicycle depot for a number of years in the old wooden building in Wynyard street, Tumut which is now replaced by the brick edifice occupied by Mr. W. RFrowd.
Deceased had been in failing health for the past five years and only a month prior to his demise he had been to Wagga for an X-ray.
He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Crossley and was born at Limestone Creek, Bowning.
He conducted bicycle shops and small businesses at Wallendbeen, Yass, Bowral and Harden before coming to Tumut in 1923.
He married Miss Anne Elizabeth Bradman, of Wallendbeen, by whom he is survived together with two sons, John Frederick (Mick), of Tumut, and James Joseph (Bombowlee) and two daughters, Alma (Mrs. P. H. Dean, of Tumut) and Amy (Mrs. G. Armour, of Bowning).
There is also one sister, Miss Molly Crossley, of Bowning, and three brothers, Sidney (Reno, Gundagai), Alfred (Bowning) and Hezakiah (Sydney), surviving.
In 1935 Mr. and Mrs. Crossley moved to South Gundagai, where they opened a small grocery business.
Mrs. Crossley took over its management, whilst Mr. Crossley engaged in mining pursuits.
Magnetite and talc stone were the principal minerals which were mined, about 5,000 tons of the former being disposed of to the Broken Hill Proprietary and other companies.
The body was brought to Tumut last night and was placed in the Catholic Church, from where the funeral will leave this morning at 10.30 o'clock for the Catholic portion of the Tumut New Cemetery.