Obituary - Mr. John Crichton
16 May 1950 The Tumut and Adelong Times
The death occurred in Tumut and District Hospital on Sunday at 6.30 p.m. of Mr. John Crichton, of Blowering Road, at the age of 68 years.
The late Mr. Crichton had been a patient in the local hospital for the past ten weeks, following a stroke which left him speechless and paralysed on the right side.
He had suffered from heart trouble for the past ten or twelve years and had been in hospital on several occasions.
The late Mr. Crichton was a twin son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Crichton, of Tumut.
He was a miller by trade, being first employed at the old flour mill near the Tumut Show ground.
Then he went to work in a flour mill at Murrumburrah for a time, returning to Tumut to be employed in Mr. G. Grill's flour mill on the corner of Capper Street and Adelong Road.
When the mill closed down he engaged in building work, mainly with concrete and brick laying.
In late years he supervised building work at Mr. F. W .Hughes' property at Argalong.
Deceased was a hard, conscientious worker and was sterlingly honest.
He never married and since the death of his parents had resided with his brother Fred.
There is also another brother, William, of Tumut, surviving.
One sister, Ellen (Mrs. W. Green), predeceased him.
The funeral takes place to-day, leaving from the Presbyterian Church for the Tumut New Cemetery at 3p.m.