Obituary - Mr George Clout
14 April 1924 The Gundagai Independent and Pastoral, Agricultural and Mining Advocate
The death took place at his residence in Tumut on Friday last of Mr. George Clout, one of the best known identities of Gundagai and Tumut districts.
Deceased was born at Landsdowne Park, Goulburn, in 1845 coming of English stock.
His father was overseer for Wm. Bradley, who at that time was the largest landholder in N.S.W.
Bradley owned nearly the whole of Goulburn Plains, and he had five big stations on Monaro including the famous Bibbenluke Station, which has bred the biggest bullocks in Australia.
The late Mr Clout's first job was in a bakehouse and produce store in Goulburn, which he got when he was 12 years of age, being paid 5s a week for it.
Like many of our pioneers, he started off scratch.
A few years later he became carrier, for those were the days when the teams carried the loads from the country to Sydney and from Sydney to the country.
The railway was yet to come.
In 1863 he went with his parents to Tumut.
Their first location was Regent's Farm, on the river below Petfield.
In 1865 his father selected at Upper Brungle, and that selection eventually, became the home of George Clout, which he carried on successfully, and made it famous under the name of 'Rosemount,' for 56 years.
The property is now in possession of his eldest son, George.
He was married in 1866 to daughter of Mr Thos. Hill, who was for many years miller and manager at Body's steam mills, and had a family of five children - two sons and three daughters - four of whom are still living.
During his lengthy occupancy of 'Rosemount' Mr Clout took part in almost every, public movement in and around Tumut.
He was a member of the Tumut P. and A. Assn. from its very, inception, and repeatedly occupied the position of president.
On several occasions he carried out experimental work on behalf of the Agricultural Dept.
He received numerous diplomas and certificates from exhibitions abroad notably the Chicago Exhibition, the Indian and Colonial Exhibition the Centennial Exhibition in Melbourne, and the Royal Show, Sydney.
He was also winner of national prizes at Cootamundra for the best collection of farm produce, and at Wagga for both wheat and oats.
Mr Clout was for several years a member of the Gundagai P.P. Board; a member of the first Progress Assn. that was ever formed in Tumut; a member of the Chinese League (which was formed in Tumut when the Chinese had become a menace to settlement there, and Sir Henry Parkes was being pressed to prevent their ingress).
He was the promoter of the first branch of the Farmers and Settlers Assn. that was ever, formed in Tumut, and he held the position of president for seven years consecutively.
He was also the representative of both Tumut and Gundagai at the first annual conference of that body, which was held in Wagga.
For 20 years he was a member of the local board for the protection of the aborigines at Brungle, and for the greater part of that time was its chairman.
For 15 years he held the position of secretary of the Brungle Progress Assn., and was afterwards its chairman.
This was a most progressive body, and many years ago, as a mark of esteem for his valued services, Mr Clout was prevailed on to accept a handsome gold watch and albert from the members of the assn.
He was one of the members of the Temporary Shire Council appointed by the Govt. under the Local Govt. Act, and was twice elected a permanent councillor, & three times chosen as its president.
He has also repeatedly acted as judge at exhibitions in neighbouring districts.
The late Mr Clout was held in the highest esteem throughout the district, and when he decided to vacate his farm' and live privately, he received a valuable piece of silver plate from the residents of Brungle on his departure from the village.
The funeral took place at Tumut on Saturday.