Obituary - Mrs. Harry Godfrey
20 July 1948 The Tumut and Adelong Times
The death occurred at her home, Merrivale-Strcet, Tumut, on Friday last July 16, 1948, of Mrs. Adeline Godfrey, wife of Mr. Harry Godfrey, after an illness of some weeks.
The late Mrs. Godfrey was born at Batlow on May 8, 1870, the eldest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hayward.
Prior to her marriage with Mr. Harry Godfrey fifty-three years ago, the then Miss Hayward spent varying periods in different parts of the State, finally settling down after her marriage at Gocup, where Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey were prominently associated with all district activities.
Some ten years ago Mr. Godfrey built a new home in Merrivale-Street and they came in to town to live where they celebrated their golden wedding three years ago. Always keenly interested in Red Cross matters.
Mrs Godfrey did a marvellous job during the last war, and a group of ladies known as the Godfrey Knitting Bee kept up a constant supply of knitted comforts to the local branch of the Red Cross Society.
She was a staunch adherent of her church, possessed a kindly charitable nature, and was a loyal, sincere friend, a devoted wife and mother.
The loss of their eldest son, Frank (then head master of Goulburn High School), eight years ago was a great blow.
The late Mrs. Godfrey had enjoyed good health up till about twelve months ago.
Since then a heart condition had caused considerable anxiety, and for the last six weeks she had been confined to bed, where she was cared for by her husband and only daughter, Nellie (Mrs. Selwyn Weston, of Sydney).
Her end came peacefully and happily at 7.00 p.m. on Friday.
Besides her husband and daughter Mrs. Godfrey is survived by two sons, Raymond (Fairfield) and Augustus Keith (East Roseville), and four sisters, Mrs. Harrison (Batlow), Mrs. W. Whiting (Sharp's Creek), Mrs. J. Whiting (Adelong) and Mrs. White (Sydney).
Three brothers predeceased her, Messrs. Henry (Batlow), Walter (Tumut) and George Hayward (Adelong).
The funeral left All Saints' Church, Tumut, at 3 o'clock on Saturday afternoon for the Church of England portion of the new cemetery. Rev, S. Broadfoot officiated at the service at the church and at the graveside, and Messrs. W. Beavan and Son attended to the mortuary arrangements.
The casket covered with beautiful flowers, was carried by Messrs. Raymond and Gus Godfrey (sons), Trevor and Gordon Whiting (nephews), Ken Godfrey (grandson) and Len Sexton.
Floral tributes were received from the following: - Mr. and Mrs. C. Taylor; Mrs. Sexton, Len, Alma and Jennifer; Nell and Selwyn; Jim, Elsie and family; Tumut C.W.A.: the grand children; Bert Flo and family; Ray and Ruby; Ern and Will; Ada and family; Gordon, Ess and family; Mr. and Mrs. P. Kemp and family; S. and E. Carr; D. and H. Engelman, Margery and Betty; Mollie, Ken and Lois; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Graham; Mrs, Dransfield; Jessie and E. Bridle; Gus and Norma; Manager and Staff New South Wales Bank; Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Jepsen; Bertha and Ern McDonald; The Rectory; Tumut Young Anglicans; Mr. and Mrs. Mathews; Jess and Will Hill; Mr. and Mrs. J. Irish (Newcastle); Mrs. J. M. Burbury; Tumut Bowling Club; W. Beavan and Son; Mrs. H. W. Baker and family; Aunt Priss; Aunt Ett; Mrs. Anderson and Una; Mr. Tweedie and Norma; Mr. and Mrs. Alex Webb and family; John and Con French; M. and E. Bellchambers; Mr. and Mrs. Bentley and family; Mr. and Mrs. J. Holmes; J. Patton and family; E. R. Hartnett and family; Mr. and Mrs. Peden; Peg and Reg Tozer and family; Mr, and Mrs. D. Herron and family: Dad.