23 May 1929 The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate
Where Parramattans Blazed the Trail
For The "Argus." (By William Freame).
On searching through the records of early settlement in, various parts of New South Wales one cannot help noticing the part played by the early pioneers, who went forth from Parramatta to blaze a trail through the then, unknown parts of the State - colony it was then.
As a matter of fact, one may follow the trail from Parramatta right through to (Geelong, Vic., of which more anon.
The old-fashioned town of Tumut, notable for its beautiful avenues of English trees.
The native name was Doomut, meaning a camping ground, and thither in 1829 went one of the Warbys, of Campbelltown.
Five years previously Hume and Hovell during their exploration of the country south of Goulburn had seen the beautiful Tumut Valley, and probably their report induced Warby, McAlister and Rose to take up land there.
Throsby, of Liverpool, and afterwards of Bong Bong, Rowland and John Oakes, of Parramatta, had already pushed out as far as Bindo, and Crookwell, and Oxley McArthur Jamison, Henry Badgery were pioneering around Goulburn.
W. McArthur and Captain McAlister squatted next to each other at Taralga, Dr. Gibson pioneered "Tirranna," Wm. Faithful, of Richmond, "Springfield," and Major Lockyer, of Ermington, "Lockersleigh."
During 1830 J. H. Rose took up 1200 acres between the Tumut and Goobragardra Rivers.
The Shelleys, of Parramatta.
No name stands higher in the early history of Parramatta than the Shelleys, who, by the way, were related to the poet of the same name. William Shelley was a missionary in the South Seas under the London Missionary Society.
He afterwards owned a trading schooner and settled in' Parramatta.
His son George Shelley, during 1833, married in Parramatta Miss Amelia Waddy, daughter of an officer of the 50th, or Queen's Own Regiment, and the progenitor of a notable family more or less associated with Parramatta history for over 100 years.
Mr. and Mrs. George Shelley - both young people, soon after their marriage, settled at "Bombowly," Tumut, and for nearly 12 months Mrs. McAlistor was the only other white woman resident for miles around.
The McAlisters were at "Darbylara," and Mr. Keighern at "Brungul.
"Tumut Plains, subsequently called "Camelot," the home of the Shelleys, was always the home of religion and refinement; it was, and probably is still, a long rambling cottage, with long verandahs more or less sheltered by flowing vines and shrubs; in front of the house was a very nice lawn.
"Tumut Plains" may be described as the birthplace of the Church of England in Tumut, for George Shelley was the first secretary of the local church trust, and the first correspondence on the subject was between Bishop Broughton, Rev. C. F. Brigstocke and himself.
It is interesting to note in this connection that the Government surveyor surveyed the site for the church and parsonage, and afterwards that of the proposed township.
In St. Luke's cemetery, Liverpool, a very old vault bears the name of Acting Commissary-General Broughton, who died 30/7/1821, aged 53 years.
This gentleman was the father of J. A. and R. K. Broughton, and a progenitor of that highly esteemed gentleman, Mr. Broughton, for many years C.P.S. and Chamber Magistrate at Parramatta Court House.
Mr. J. A. Broughton and Mr. R. K. Broughton arrived in the Tumut district in 1837, a sister marrying James Garland, who succeedled Mr. Warby at "Darbylara."
J. A. Broughton took up "Cookup," but afterwards sold out and removed to Denliquin.
R. K. Broughton, who married a sister of Mr. Walter Church, founded "Gadara."
Other old Parramatta names appear in the records, as for instance, Miss Elizabeth Shelley, who married Rev. S. Fox, the wedding taking place in "Camelot."
William Shelley, who married a daughter of Rev. Thomas Hassall, M.A., of Parramatta and Cobbitty.
A. N. Stacy and Rev. D. Evan Jones, afterwards of St. Mark's, Granville.