3 May 1943 Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga)
Until 1856, all country trans-port of merchandise was effected by means of bullock teams, the goods being loaded on the rough old vehicles at Circular Quay.
In 1856 the railway line was completed to Liverpool.
In 1858 it reached Campelltown.
Four years later it reached Menangle, and in 1863 it got as far as Picton.
Onward, southern bound, it proceeded leisurely to reach Goulburn in 1869, Gunning in 1875, Bowning in 1876, and Cootamundra a year later.
It was not until 1903 that the iron horse came snorting and puffing into Tumut, leaving poor old Adelong away a few miles to the right rather than incur the cost of negotiating the gap obstruction.