Record Prices at 'Darbalara' Auction Sale

27 August 1946 The Tumut and Adelong Times 

Close on 1000 People Attend; Spirited Bidding.

An unofficial estimate is that close on one thousand people attended the 'Darbalara' clearance Sale, conducted by E. A. Tout and Co., on behalf of Knox Bros., on Tuesday last, states the 'Independent.' 

Prices paid for many articles submitted were extremely high. As examples a cedar dining room table brought 43, and 4 to 5 gallon fountain (used for heating purposes) made 7/5/.

From every section of the Gundagai district people were in attendance at the sale, while there was a big representation from Tumbarumba, Batlow, Tumut Adelong, Cootamundra, Junee and Harden-Murrumburrah districts. 

Some idea of the crowd can be gauged from the fact that the CWA which conducted a luncheon booth made more than 40, and ran out of supplies long before they were able to supply the needs of those who required refreshments. 

Various items of farm machinery and plant, stock, furniture and a long list of sundries were submitted to auction. 

The sale commenced promptly at 11 a.m., and terminated at 5 p.m. 

The cedar table, which brought 43, and the fountain at. 7/5/- were but two of many articles which aroused keen competition. 

An endless chain made 8/5/-; a vice 6/5/-; and piping up to 2/7/- per length. 

The price paid for a corn dropper was 9.

A saw bench made 9/10/, whilst a large bellows brought 8/5/. 

A set of railway lines, about 30 feet long, was sold for the extraordinary price of 5; whilst an old motor lorry which had to be towed away, made 34.

A set of disc harrows was knocked down at 49; whilst a lucerne mower went for 36. 

Draught horses sold well. Highest price paid was 29, another made 22, and a third 19.

A saddle horse went for 10/15/-.

A three-horse power petrol engine was bought for 21. 

Two large chairs made to 11 each whilst ordinary chairs sold up to as much as 7/10/-, each.

It is interesting to note that the fountain, purchased by Mr. R. W Beatty for 7/10/-, was once sold for 5/-, and was purchased by its recent owner for 25/.

The sale is claimed as being a record one by many district residents.

It was certainly an eye-opener, to many of those who witnessed the public auction.