Statue of Hamilton Hume Department of Lands Office
Australian Town and Country Journal
1 April 1893
Hamilton Hume. An Australian Explorer.
In one of the niches in the new Lands Office buildings, Sydney, there was recently erected a statue of Hamilton Hume, the famous explorer.
The statue, a photograph of which is presented herewith, is the work of Mr. W. P. Macintosh, of Forest Lodge, examples, of whose ability have been previously illustrated in this journal, and is of the very best Pyrmont freestone.
The explorer is represented in riding boots and spurs, trousers and shirt, leaning against portion of a tree, the base of which is in scribed "1824," that being the year in which the overland expedition from Lake George to Port Phillip was made. In his right hand Mr. Hume holds a chart, and his left rests on his saddle.
The figure is that of a tall and splendidly-proportioned man about 50 years' of age, his face exhibiting great firmness of character.
Mr. Hamilton Hume, of Stanborough Lodge, Enfield, a nephew of the explorer, with whom he lived for 20 years, guided Mr. Macintosh in the execution of his work, and those who are in a position to judge express the opinion that the representation is most truthful and perfectly satisfactory.
A very short summary of the famous explorer's career will be of interest.
He was born on June 18, 1797, at Parramatta; in 1814, with his brother he explored the country round Berrima; in 1817, accompanied by Mr. Meehan, a surveyor, he discovered Lakes George and Bathurst and Goulburn Plains; two years later, with Messrs.
Meehan and Oxley he explored as far as Jervis Bay; in 1824, with Mr. Hovell, be carried out the famous exploration from Lake George to Port Phillip; and in 1828-29 he accompanied Charles Sturt on his first expedition to trace the source of the Macquarie.
In every particular the sculptor has been highly successful, and Mr. Macintosh is also engaged on a statue of John Oxley, another Australian explorer.