The Late John Waugh, Bushman and Gentleman
6 April 1945 The Riverine Grazier (Hay)
The passing of John Waugh, whose death we briefly referred to in a recent issue, removes another well known personality from the ranks of pioneers who had successfully stemmed the tide of adversity, which frequently threatened and often wrecked the foundations of pastoral ventures in the less favoured rainfall areas out back, where he had spent a great portion of his life, and up to the time of death still retained his interest.
Those who knew him describe him as a bushman and gentleman, and pay him the compliment of having few equals as a judge of stock.
Consistent with the hospitality for which the Waughs of Clare are noted, he never turned a deaf ear to a fellow man in time of need.
Genuine regret has been expressed on all sides at the passing of this veteran pastoralist.
The deceased gentleman, a son of the late Mr. John Waugh, of Clare and Gogeldrie Stations, was born at Yanco Station 80 years ago and was a bachelor.
He was educated at Geelong College, and on leaving school went to Clare Station. Later, when Messrs. Stanbridge and Waugh purchased Gogeldrie, his father entrusted the management of Clare to him while he took up residence at Gogeldrie.
In 1902 he spent some time travelling in Australia and New Zealand, his brother, William, taking up the responsibility of management.
In dry years when scarcity of feed necessitated the removal of Clare and Waiko sheep to more favoured pastures, he spent many summers in the snow country at Kiandra, keeping a watchful eye over the flocks.
On the death of his father in 1922, he went to reside at Woodlands, Lindfield, but continued to take an active part in the management of the properties, and spent a deal of time with the stock when sent to Tumut and Kiandra relief country.
After the purchase of Stockdale, Gobarralong, in the Gundagai district, in 1929, he retired and lived in Sydney until his death.
He was a partner in the firm of Messrs. Stanbridge and Waugh, of Clare and Waiko Stations, and Messrs. Waugh and Co., of Stockdale, and was well-known in pastoral circles and in Sydney, where he had many friends.
He was a brother of the late Mr. William A. Waugh (Clare), Mr. Alan Waugh (Lalawantu, Dr. G. H. Waugh, and Mrs. Walter Parkinson (Kiatunga, Christchurch, N.Z.).