Tumut Butter Factory Planned
13 May 1904 Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post
A substantial, addition to the buildings in Tumut is to be made shortly, the Tumut Butter Company having invited tenders for the erection of a factory inside the railway station enclosure and fronting the Adelong road.
It is to be a two-storey structure 47ft x 40ft, exclusive of verandahs, with boiler and condensing houses in the rear, covering a space of 20½ft x 18ft.
There will be a platform abutting the railway line. The testing, receiving, re-making, butter and ice rooms occupy the front portion of the building and face the platform.
At the rear of the re-making, butter and ice rooms is the manufacturing room, 30ft x 26ft, and next to that is the engine-room, ice tanks and two other rooms.
Behind the testing and receiving rooms are the bench, sinks and wash-up rooms, next to them being the office, with a frontage to the road leading to the station.
The store room, 16ft x 9½ft, completes the ground plan. Messrs. T. Wildridge and Sinclair, of "The Linde" Australian Refrigerating Coy., Sydney, are the contractors for the supply of the machinery.
The secretary (Mr. R. McKay) informs us that graziers and dairymen have given promises of good support to the company, and not only are the shares being readily taken up but suppliers have given assurances of bringing the milk to the factory.
Being on the co-operative principle, the shareholders are sure of reaping all the profits that accrue from the business.