Australian Town and Country Journal
3 December 1887
Mr. Edward Arthur Iceton, Mayor of Yass, is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Iceton, solicitor, who was in practice in Sydney for many years. He was educated in the Collegiate school, Cook's River, conducted by the Rev. W. H. Savigny, M.A., and in the Sydney University, where he graduated as B.A. and M.A.
He was articled to his father, and admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1872, and shortly afterward succeeded to the practice of the late G. C. Allman, solicitor, Yass. He has taken considerable interest in municipal matters, and is now in his third term of office as mayor of the borough. He is also returning officer for the Yass Plains electorate.
Yass has been incorporated as a municipal district since March, 1873. It is divided into three wards, known as Hume Ward (after the Australian explorer, Hamilton Hume), Hardy Ward, and O'Brien Ward; the two latter being the names of two of the oldest and most prominent residents in the early days of the town.
The town of Yass is divided into north and south; north being situated on the higher ground, and used chiefly for the purpose of residences; and south being the portion in which the business premises are situated. Between the two there is a recreation reserve of some fifty acres, which is known as Victoria Park, and is vested in the council. This park is laid out in paths; and planted with trees. One portion has been made into a cricket ground, on which is erected a spacious pavilion.
Almost all the streets, both in north and south, have been formed and gravelled; and in south the pathways have all been formed and gravelled, and kerbed with wooden kerbing.
The populous parts of the town are at present lighted with kerosene. But it is in contemplation to substitute gas at no distant period.
The town contains a splendid courthouse, a gaol, and gaoler's residence adjoining, with underground passage from the gaol to the prisoner's dock in the court, a mechanics' institute with a library of nearly 4000 works, three banks (all large and handsome buildings), several first-class hotels and extensive stores, and churches of the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan denominations, a commodious public school, a Roman Catholic, and several private schools, a convent, and three steam flourmills.
The municipality contains thirty-three miles of roads; the population is about 2500.