Mail:- Tumut History, PO Box 132, Tumut, NSW 2720, Australia
"Information is our only purpose; that accomplished, we shall consider that we have done our duty." Reference
- Quires discovers the New Hebrides.
- The Duyfken in the Gulf of Carpentaria (March).
- Torres sails through Torres Straits (September).
- Dirck Hartog discovers Eendracht Land (Western Australia).
- Frederik Houtman discovers western coast from Swan River northwards.
- The Leeuwin coasts south-western Australia to lat. 35° S.
- Jan Carstensz in the Gulf of Carpentaria.
- Arnhem's Land discovered.
- The Gulden Zeepaert coasts Nuyta' Land as far as Streaky Bay.
- The Vyanen runs aground on De Witt's Land.
- Pelsart wrecked on the Abrolhos.
- Tasman discovers Tasmania and New Zealand.
- Tasman 's second Australian voyage : Australia coasted from Cape York to Eendracht Land.
- Dampier visits north-western Australia in the Cygnet, landing at Buccaneer Archipelago.
- Willem de Vlamingh discovers Swan River.
- Dampier explores north-western coast in the Roebuck.
- John Harris suggests the occupation of Tasmania.
- Charles de Brosses proposes that France should occupy Australasian territory with foundlings, beggars and criminals.
- John Callander makes similar suggestion for England.
- James Cook in the Endeavour sails for the Pacific.
- Cook sights the eastern coast, and annexes it under the name 'New South Wales.'
- Banks proposes to send convicts to Botany Bay.
- Matra proposes to colonize New South Wales with 'loyalists' from America.
- Sir George Young proposes to colonize New South Wales with 'loyalists,' Friendly Islanders and Chinese.
- Lord Sydney orders the equipment of a fleet to convey convicts to Botany Bay.
- 'First Fleet' sails from England (May).
- Fleet reaches Botany Bay.
- Port Jackson examined and settlement made on Sydney Cove.
- La Parouse in the Astrolabe visits Botany Bay.
- Hawkesbury River explored.
- Launch of first vessel built in colony.
- First thea¬trical performance in Sydney.
- First land grant made to convict James Ruse at Rose Hill (now Parramatta).
- First detachment of New South Wales Corps reaches Sydney.
- Vancouver discovers King George's Sound.
- Whaling and sealing industry begun.
- Bowen discovers Jervis Bay.
- Fort Constructed at Dawes Point.
- New South Wales Corps in control of the Colony.
- Arrival in Port Jackson of first foreign trading vessel the Philadephia from the United States.
- First free settlers arrive; located at Liberty Plains (Bankstown).
- First church built by Richard Johnson.
- Settlement formed at the Hawkesbury.
- The 'Scottish Martyrs' arrive.
- The Cowpastures discovered.
- Bass and Flinders explore George's River.
- First printing press erected in Sydney.
- Bass and Flinders coast Illawarra.
- First theatre opened in Sydney.
- Coal found near Port Stephens.
- Hunter River discovered, and coal found near its mouth.
- First merino sheep imported.
- Bass discovers Western Port.
- Bass and Flinders circumnavigate Tasmania.
- Flinders surveys coast northwards to Hervey Bay.
- Coal first exported (to India).
- Volunteer associations founded at Sydney and Parramatta.
Items in black below are not newspaper articles.
These items are a reprint of the
"The Australian Encyclodaedia"
Vol. 1, pages 257 - 261
Edited by Arthur Wilberforce Jose and Herbert James Carter
in collaboration with T.G. Tucker C.B.G, Litt.D. (camb.)
Originally printed by Angus & Robertson Limited in1927.